Saturday, April 4, 2015

Stagecoach 400 - Indian Creek, Decanso and on to Alpine

The single track alongside Sunrise Highway was fun, and had a few riders on it. Then I got to do a few miles on the highway itself and that went well. Finally I got to the Noble Canyon trailhead and turned in there, stopped and filled my water bottles.

I really liked the Noble Canyon track, thought it was pretty, and had a nice flow to it.  Met some hikers at the Indian Creek turnoff and chatted with them for a bit.  Then downhill to the creek, crossed it and started around Indian Creek.  I stopped for a couple of minutes and heard another rider come from behind me and pulled my bike out of his way .. he went on, and then I went on .. and then I found him a few minutes later, with a derailleur knocked off his bike by a big rock that he had ran over and it "popped up" and got his bike.

So I stopped, and dug out my chain breaker and another rider came up and the three of us figured out the best way to get him going again as a single speed.  Nice to have some tools with me, even had a chunk of duct tape to tape up the dangling cable.  He went back towards his car, and I kept going on the Indian Creek path, which is a bit narrow in places with drops that could cause some damage to you if you went over the edge !

Finally got to a fire road, passed Granite Springs and saw some of the biggest oak trees I have ever seen.  Got to ride through some beautiful meadows and then through Cuyamaca State Park and back to Highway 79 ( a place I had just passed earlier in the morning as I went uphill on 79 to Cuyamaca Lake ).

Beautiful Meadow in Cuyamaca State Park



On to Descanso, where I stopped at Veronica's and had a really great Carne Asada burrito, a root beer float and iced tea, and felt really good after that.  Then I headed for Alpine and got to ride downhill on Viejas Grade.
Could be an Ent 








I was surprised to see the cue sheet instructions telling us to go straight on Willows Road instead of the Interstate on-ramp and we had another little piece of dirt that got us onto neighborhood streets avoiding a lot of car traffic ( Sweet ! )
Refueling at Veronicas


I headed to the Ayres Hotel in Alpine, got a room and got some supper at the Montana Grill where I devoured most of a giant place of pot roast.  All in all, it was a pretty good day, could have ridden further but was good to get done with those big hilly single track sections from Mt Laguna on to Cuyamaca State Park.




Viejas Grade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ruta del Jefe

 In March I am going to Sonora to do a bicycle ride in support of several organizations that are involved with our Borderland region. I was ...